Check out that title. Pretty awesome way to sound smart, right? Well this blog post is another one of my long winded ones and concerns my recent 6 week side-project. So a little warning in advance: This is a long read and a minder-bender in spots. Have a hot or cool drink and some time before you start. I think you will enjoy the ending. The Idea I am a firm believer that virtualization and cloud computing are creating new paradigms to approach innovation, operation, and execution within information technology. I find myself inspired by ideas and concepts that would be impossible before the advent of virtualization as a common approach to logical abstraction of x86 compute, storage, and networking. In my feeble mind, I see endless possibilities not only in automation. I also see possibilities in creating intelligent systems; able to respond in way much more organic that we may have thought possible. It is from this belief that this new idea came to me. The lifecycle of applications and infrastructure has been both very a manual and managed process. Creation, changes, and death (decommissioning) are all things that can be automated; but require prerequisite knowledge to orchestrate correctly. You would specifically know the quantity, scope, and configuration of physical or virtual servers prior to building for an application. Likewise, configured settings and metadata for the application would have been tested and discovered through intense integration and regression cycles by development/quality teams beforehand. All of this would be wrapped [...]
This project start to finish was just over one week. I had a three day birthday weekend where I did the bulk of the work and then spent evenings till early AM finishing this up. And without a doubt this was the most fun to create. Really this blog post is a really a *video* blog post so without further ado I present:
I recently jumped in to help my team create a vAppliance for Unified Infrastructure Manager (UIM). This was to help enable both the EMC and Cisco field teams to demo and standup proof of concepts. As part of this I decided to try and create a web-only wizard for setting up the appliance. I used a combination of PHP/Perl/Bash and smashing my head on the keyboard. I made a short uber-video (just coined that term) which demonstrates how a simple 60 seconds web wizard let’s the user deploy UIM automatically. My goal is web-based configuration for everything I do from now on.
The UBER VNX VSA was just released. Go HERE to download the new version. Another bug and another fix. I can’t tell if I am getting better at finding bugs or worse at testing. Today I was able to replicate a weird issue that caused iSCSI LUNs to not show up with the ESXi 4.1 iSCSI adapter. Quick fix but if you are going to do iSCSI instead of NFS and are having issues, download the new VSA below: Workstation Version (MD5: a2136179d4d9544e4f8e3b43b7cc182e) vSphere Version OVA (MD5: c3d8abfb536aecca34c83d318c2c3e5f) Thanks, .nick
It came to my attention pretty quick that something was amiss with the last Celerra VSA UBER release. I heard strange stories of disks not adding and the OVA not deploying. Since this thing is drawing close on a couple thousand downloads some environmental, transfer, and operational bugs/errors will cause problems. But I finally nailed this down myself when I was doing my iSCSI testing. I had run into a SRM bug (see post here) this week. And as I was parsing the logs I noticed a couple lines that confirmed it. There was definitely a bug as iSCSI objects were not pulling the new instantiated ID that is created with the wizard. So after 8 hours or so of diving through and reversing engineering I finally found the culprit. It went all the way back to the original build I get from engineering. I wrote a patch, tested against my running VSA’s, and confirmed I had the fix. But while I was about rebuilding the VSA’s I decided to do a couple more things that didn’t make the last list. Here is the running list of changes: Bugfix: Passphrase for peer connections is will now save correctly. This is related to the ID bug. Before if you rebooted the VSA replications (NFS or iSCSI) would no longer work. Bugfix: iSCSI replication now creates LUN’s and Replication sessions with proper naming ID’s. Bugfix: NTP settings for Data Mover will update time during wizard immediately to correct large skew. Bugfix: Either [...]
So transparency is a good thing right? Especially since I just found out I have a ‘vendor’ blog *eek* I will make this short and sweet. I have been working on a home lab SRM thingy for a couple weeks. I had completed all my testing with NFS replication and plug-ins. Pretty darn sweet stuff but that is another post coming. When I moved on to the the iSCSI testing everything was kosher until I ran into issues with the Celerra Replicator SRA. It will crash out with a ‘discoverLuns’ error when searching the Celerra for the replicated session. In my lab I am using the new DART 6.0 UBER VSA. Turns out this issue is known and just related to a naming change. EMC already has a fix (I tested and it works) and it is on its way through the official channels as we speak. So once again with iSCSI replicated sessions on DART 6.0 there is an issue with the ‘discoverLuns’ command only. This does not affect the NFS replication with the Celerra SRA or other Clariion, Recoverpoint, Symmetrix replications/SRA’s. As soon as the release is out watch for it here or on Chad’s site. .nick